Senior Backend Engineer
At Finofo, We're On A Mission
We are building an operating system for finance teams of businesses that streamlines accounts payable, simplifies financial planning, delivers precise financial risk analytics with FX hedging recommendations, and offers the ability to execute transactions directly from the platform. Our vision? To be the singular platform where businesses can transact, plan, strategize, and make smart financial decisions.
We are a VC-backed, revenue-generating fintech startup with a significant cash runway. Our journey is just beginning, and we'd love for you to be a part of it.
About the Role
We're searching for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our team. In this role, you'll work closely with our CTO and Lead Backend Engineer in developing the next stage of our product. However, this role may not be right for everyone. We may not be a good fit if you:
● Seek a traditional 9-5 job. As a startup, we thrive on flexibility and dynamism.
● Require high levels of structure and support. We value initiative and independent problem-solving.
● Aren't driven to solve complex problems faced by business finance teams - this is our product sphere.
● Are uncomfortable with ambiguity. In a startup environment, we define the undefined.
● Don't enjoy being hands-on. As a lean team, everyone gets in on the action.
● Aren't interested in taking ownership of your projects. We value accountability.
● Don't have an appetite for learning and growing.
● Can't produce high-quality code quickly. Speed is of the essence.
Your Skill Set
We're looking for someone who has mastery in at least one OOP language (preferably Python), experience with AWS, MySQL, and REST.
As our Senior Backend Engineer, you'll:
● Collaborate with the Founding Engineer/CTO to design and implement effective and efficient APIs
● Develop, test, deploy, and operate key services and APIs
● Ensure solutions and systems are performant and provide a high-quality user experience
● Champion coding standards and best practices
● Collaborate with other developers through pair programming and code reviews
● Participate in and champion continuous improvement of development processes, standards, and tooling
● Evaluate and recommend new technologies
To excel in this role, you'll likely have:
● 5+ years of professional hands-on experience, preferably in early-stage or young startups
● Proficient understanding of Microservices, cloud-native architectures, and deployment patterns
● Experience designing REST and GraphQL APIs and familiarity with Open-API/Swagger standards
● Strong data modelling skills and hands-on experience with databases (SQL, NoSQL)
● Superb analytical and communication skills
Bonus Points for:
● Experience with AWS
● Experience working on fintech platforms/payment systems
Why Choose Finofo?
● Competitive salary and benefits allowance, plus equity-based compensation
● Opportunity to build from scratch, work with the founding team, and build a product that makes a real difference
● Flexible schedule and remote work
● Offsites in Canada and the UK
Interested in joining our journey? Apply now. We can't wait to hear from you.