- Open your spreadsheet in Excel:To freeze a column in Excel, first open your spreadsheet. Click the File tab in the top-left corner of the Excel window, then click Open. Select your spreadsheet from the resulting window and click Open.
- Select the column to the right of the column you want to freeze:For example, if you want to freeze the first column of your spreadsheet, select the second column. To do this, click the columns header cell at the top of the column.
- Click the View tab:It's at the top of the Excel window.
- Click Freeze Panes:You'll find this option in the "Window" group near the middle of the View tab.
- Click Freeze Panes:Doing so will prompt a drop-down menu.
- Click Freeze Panes:You should now see a thin line separating the frozen and scrollable sections of your spreadsheet.
Things You'll Need:
- Microsoft Excel
- You can also freeze multiple columns by selecting multiple columns before clicking Freeze Panes.
- To freeze both rows and columns, select a cell in the bottom-right corner of your spreadsheet before clicking Freeze Panes.
- You can unfreeze a column by clicking the View tab and then clicking Freeze Panes again; doing so will remove any existing freeze.